Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 5

Today was another hard day for us...or maybe just me.  We did not have big plans other then eating, drinking and walking.  We had a few visitors this morning...then things took a turn.  Mark was having a rough day.  I guess I would say this is more emotionally then medically.  He becomes very grumpy at times.  We believe this is caused by the Ativan he is taking.  We are still unable to wean him from this due to his daily seizure medications still on the low side.  The level came back low again today.  The neurology team hopes for it to get to a safer level soon.  Until then god help us!  I think we will find a new little boy when we get his medications in order.
The kidney is doing well!  We still have good urine output.  Now it is a juggle to get medications balanced.  We were told  this would happen and the doses would change A LOT before we go home...and continue to change after that.  It is so important to keep the levels where they need to be, so we can keep that kidney for a long time :)
This afternoon I decided to take a break for a bit and head home...that's right home!  I needed to get out and clear my head so I could be fresh for Mark.  I went home to shower and do laundry.  Mark also wanted his baby and a game from home.  It was nice to be there for a few hours.  I also folded laundry, took out the trash and a couple other small projects.  Evy also came by with some food from Auntie Julie...Yummy!  I enjoyed my time.  This may sound weird but for some reason the smell of home recharges me...and you don't know it or miss it until you smell it again.  It just makes me feel whole again.
While I was gone Chris had a chance to talk with the surgeon.  He said we should expect the urine catheter to come out tomorrow.  Then next up will be back to the OR maybe on Friday to remove the chest catheter.  That procedure on Friday will make it all real for me...the dialysis catheter will be gone.  It's a moment I feel like I have been waiting for.  Also it is bitter sweet, we will miss the Nurses and friends at dialysis.  They have become a second family to us.  Change is good...and we will remain friends!
Happy moment for Mark!

Sleeping with Baby Fake...he made me bring her in when I went home!

One last thing...I was excited to hear Adele was in the city today for her procedure at Mass General.  I'm hoping she recovers quickly, and heads over to Children's for a visit with the Transplant kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment