Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where Were You On 11-1-11?

Tuesday morning was a little different then most days in our house.  Mark had no school, Chris was working from home and I was trying to figure out what to do with my day!  Mark and I decided to take a trip to BJ's.  Off we went to Leominster.  On our way out Mark spotted my Aunt and ran up to get her.  We chatted outside the store for a few minutes.  That was when we got the "call".  I had always thought we would get the call at night.  I was a bit surprised...Of course crying and panicking at the same time!  My Aunt helped us put our goods in the car, and off we were to get Chris and head to Boston.
When I answered the phone the nurse had said "It's time"....and I remember saying "are you serious?"  then I proceeded to tell her I was at BJ's and she told me to get dressed and come in?!?  She thought I said I was in my PJ's...hehe!  So from Leominster to Littleton, we packed our bags and off to Boston we went.  We made it to Boston within an hour and half of the phone call.
All packed and ready for transplant.
When we arrived in Boston we headed straight up to the Dialysis clinic.  This would be Mark's last dialysis treatment for now!  The only way that would change is if he has a sleeping kidney post transplant...and/or he needs another transplant down the road.  For now we can say it was the last treatment!!

The end of the last treatment!
While Mark was having his last Dialysis treatment he had some labs done and I headed to admitting.



Once treatment was done we headed up to 10south to get settled and wait for the go...This was around 6 or so Tuesday night.  Then the waiting game began...we waited and waited and waited.  It was rumor that we would go to transplant late Tuesday night.  We had company to keep us busy for awhile...


Talking to Uncle Den

Sad attempt to capture us together!

We were with My parents, Chris' parents, Evy and Bobby.  After waiting for a bit we all started to fade.  Some headed home and the rest of us tried to go to bed.  We just had no idea when we would get the go!


Night Night
I was up almost all night. Every time the door opened we thought it was go time.  At about 3:30am I gave up and tried to sleep.  Around 5 or the Doctor came in and said it was still a go and he would see us in a few hours :)  That gave me hope again.  They told us from day one we could get to the hospital, they could send us home because it wasn't the best fit.  That is why I was stressing as time passed.  Although we ended up in transplant around noon time it was all for good reason to wait.  There was a transplant just before Mark.  The other kidney was going to one of his dialysis friends.  Two happy families in one day.  Of course feeling grateful for our donor and hoping that family understands the gift they gave us.  I'm truly hoping they are at peace with their decision...we will never be able to express how grateful we are feeling.



2 comments:

  1. What an amazing momoent in my life to be there with you when your phone rang. I saw every emotion possible on your face, elation, fear, joy, anxiety, relief but most of all the look on your face as the tears came when you glanced at your son. The look of unconditional love. My emotions were all over the place as I thought of the donor family but I hope that one day they will rest assured that they gave life to a very deserving young boy and his family. That was the first day of the rest of your life so heres to that! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, Kim passed this along. I remember well just what a devoted mother you are. God Bless you and that special little boy.

    ReplyDelete