Thursday, July 21, 2011

Parathyroid Scan Results

Mark had his scan done about two weeks ago.  He was put under anesthesia for about 4 hours.  During this scan the took series of pictures to see his parathyroid gland.  With Mark's level being so high this scan was important to see what was going on.  At the time of the scan his level was about a 1900.  This level needs to be at 500 or less to be active for transplant.  When we received the results of the scan everything came back normal!!!  It can be common that the gland needs to be removed in kidney transplant patients.  With a normal result this was not going to be necessary.  This was great news.  The bad news...we need to figure out how to get this level done.  The only choice now is to treat with medication.  He is currently on 3 medication to lower this level.  The doctor had told me that this could take a couple of months, or maybe sooner.  I asked them to be honest with me and tell me what they have seen in the past.  I don't want to be hopeful every two weeks when the lab is drawn to find out it has barley dropped.  My opinion these days is prepare for the worse and hope for the best :)  Some may not agree with me, but most have never walked this journey.  It gets to be draining when your so hopeful and things don't go they way you want.  I am drained and this is still the first leg of this journey...I still have to be strong for the post transplant.
Waiting to go in for his scan

No comments:

Post a Comment