Friday, April 22, 2011

Urology

I need to back track a little bit.  I was unable to blog on Wednesday.  We had a busy day.  Mark and I arrived to Children's right around 7am.  We enjoyed some oatmeal together (this is new for Mark..he claims it's his favorite) and headed right up to dialysis.
We had many interruptions during treatment.  Everyday seems to be different.  He does require a nurse to sit by his bed for all of treatment.  Every time they try to walk away his machine will alarm and stop!  Day after day it makes me excited that we are getting closer to transplant.  I always find myself looking ahead to the future.  I feel like it is hard to live in the moment.  I just constantly think about what's the next hurtle.  I want transplant to come..but I can't stop stressing about it.  I have little to no focus these days.  All this stressing is the Mother in me...or should I say the parent in me.  I know things will be great for Mark once he recovers.  It's just the long road I fear.  Also the thought of him being in surgery for hours.  The longest he has been in the OR has been about 4 hours or so.  If you have ever experienced this as a parent...It is the worse feeling in the world.  You have no control.
After our long dialysis we headed downstairs to get some lunch.  We had a little time to kill before our Urology appointment so we went to the hospital playground for a bit.  We arrived at our appointment about 30 minutes early.  The women at the front desk suggested we go get lunch or go to the patient entertainment center.  I told her we did that already!  She said okay they will be with you shortly.  She failed to mention they were running behind...almost 2 hours!!!!!!!!  As you can imagine I was feeling a bit frustrated when they finally took us.  Mark was having a full Urodynamic study.  You can google that if you would like...I don't want to be to graphic, but there were catheters going in some not so comfortable places.  Mark was not a happy camper.  After the study they said everything looked good.  They also failed to mention the Renal Urologist was not there but he would be reading the study at a later time.  I was a little pissed about that.  The reason we are there is for his kidney's and to be cleared for transplant.  I want to know if the expect to take out his native kidneys or not.  I am hoping for some answers before the weekend.
On an exciting note, we received a phone call from Make A Wish Foundation while we were at our appointment.  Mark was referred to the program by the hospital.  He does qualify for a Wish!!  They are setting up a wish team to come out and meet us soon.
Also our potential donor has been working hard on trying to get cleared for transplant as well.  We hope to hear soon how the appointment with the donors primary care went this week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment