Friday, March 11, 2011

Turning My Back

Today was the only time I had to turn my back on Mark through all of this....
  When we arrived to Boston we had made it just in time!  The rain was making it very hard to get out of bed this morning.  I actually don't look like I got out of bed yet...I'm in sweatpants and a sweatshirt...God help me not to fall into this slump.  I am going out to hang out with my mother in law tonight and her friends.  I think when I get home the sweats need to come off and a little make-up needs to go on!  If I do that it will be less then one week since the last time I put make-up on.  Yay me!!!
  Mark's dressing over his catheter was looking a little creepy.  Diane had decided to change it before we started.  Typically it would be changed on a weekly basis, but with mark having surgery on Monday it needs to be changed sooner.  I will let your imagination go with what my version of "creepy" is.  When she got the dressing off Mark kept saying it hurt.  Once the gauze was removed there was a dime size open wound.  This was from his old catheter....and that is when I couldn't look....I had to turn my back.  I can handle a lot but this was bad.  I asked the nurse why it was like that and should it be stitched?  She was on the fence, so a call was put into to the surgeon.  He called back right away.  He said it was in a place that was hard to stitch.  He said it will be fine as long as it is covered and cleaned it should heal just fine. Once that was resolved Mark treatment was off to a start.  He was happy to play with the dialysis baby again!  Johanna said we can bring in our own doll and they will install a catheter.  Looks like we have a trip to the toy store planned tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,

    Your story of trying to help your son is very inspiring. Is there any way I can help?
    I run WestfordPatch (http://westford.patch.com). We're an online newspaper run by AOL. I was hoping to promote the fundraiser March 26. You can reach me at jason.claffey@patch.com.

    Thanks and good luck,
    Jason Claffey

    ReplyDelete